Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Portfolio Summary

I am a white, LDS, female who grew up in a middle class family and so a lot of my beliefs and views on people were inherited and based on the way that I grew up. I wouldn't say that I was extremely sheltered from the world. I had an idea of the things that other groups of people struggled with and the discrimination aimed toward them. I even saw it within my family with family members who identify as bisexual and gay. I even saw some slight negative actions or thoughts toward a family member who has autism. And I'm not going to lie I may have been part of that sometimes, not directly toward the person, but when talking to others. I in no way was an expert on these subjects (and I'm still not) and I think that's what caused some of my negative thoughts towards people, even those who were my family members. I struggled with what the world was saying about these people and what I truly believed based on my faith and the way that I was raised. They contradicted each other.
But through out this class I was able to see things from the perspective of people who are being discriminated against. With the community experience I realized that my fear of those with disabilities is not because of their physical appearance but because I am not educated enough in the subject. I was afraid to say anything or interact with them worried that I would offend them in some way with the things that I said, when in all reality it is offensive to just ignore. I experienced being the other and it was not fun. I was put in a situation where I was unfamiliar with the language and norms of the class and I am a quiet person and not one to step up and ask questions especially in an unfamiliar place, so I can only imagine there will be students like that in my classroom. Patients is going to be key to teaching and getting to know my students and educating myself on their culture and the best way to teach individual student.
Through out this class I realized where my biases my show and I had always said that I wanted my classroom to be a safe environment for the students and I would do that by making sure that students were kind to each other, but now I know that I also play a part in that. I must make sure that my language and actions are representative of welcoming every culture, race, gender, and ability in my classroom. We, students and teacher, will learn together what is appropriate and what isn't. Expectations are going to be high for all students.
I know have a better knowledge of what my students may be facing and I will continue to learn as I teach, it doesn't end here. Action cannot be based on assumptions they need to be based on knowledge which is why I will continue to learn about and keep up to date in the issues going on in the world. Things which my students may be facing when they come into my classroom. The disruptions I felt during discussion just made me realize that I had things I need to change in order to be a good teacher who is inclusive of all her students.

No comments:

Post a Comment